The Blockchain for Social Impact Coalition (BSIC) from Consensys is running a 6-week competition together with TopCoder to ideate and prototype blockchain-based solutions to global social and environmental challenges. It will start on the 9th, April 2018!
We are thrilled to have been asked to mentor for one of the team in the stream for Agriculture!
About this Use Case (Agriculture)
Poor agricultural practices are damaging the Earth’s land and environment. Overgrazing and overdrafting lead to soil erosion. Slash and burn farming devastates our forests. Pollutants and harmful chemicals get recycled into aquatic ecosystems, endangering various species that rely on delicate natural habitats. Blockchain technology represents to increase the sustainability of agricultural practices through a plethora of ways. Securing the supply chain, reducing waste, and incentivizing better habits are just a few of the possibilities!
There are three are possible use cases for Refugees, Hardware, and Democracy.
Consensys Decentralized Impact Incubator
The Decentralized Impact Incubator is supported by members of the Blockchain for Social Impact Coalition (BSIC). BSIC is a community of impact-focused entrepreneurs, investors, and humanitarians who convene to share resources, knowledge and cutting-edge blockchain technology to address global social and environmental issues. It incubates, develops, and implements confederated blockchain products and solutions that can address social and environmental challenges across the United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals.
Consensys already started its first Social Impact incubator in 2017, which was a four-weeks virtual hackathon focusing on vulnerable population, financial inclusion, supply chain, energy & environment. 600 people signed up, 60 teams submitted, and the program featured 100 mentors and 60 judges. Wow! That was a great signal about how people were passionate to explore blockchain solutions for social impact. So many Blockchain Positivists :p
So Consensys is now launching the upgraded version in 2018, and probably it will do so each year.
- 6-weeks program
- 300 applications to be mentor. 30 mentors come from Consensys or the BSIC directly
- There will be one technical and one non-technical mentor per team at least.
- 318 registrants from 44 countries registered already!
Program per week: teams have weekly checkpoints that will be reviewed be the mentors.
- Week 1: Impact Opportunity
- Week 2: Business Model Validation
- Week 3: Technical Architecture
- Week 4: Impact Measurement
- Week 5: Code
- Week 6: Final Submissions Due
- End of Week Deliverable by Monday, May 14, 2018 – White Paper (optional). Video Demo.
An online Hackathon
The teams at Consensys and TopCoder did an amazing job to set up the online program and community tools (TopCoder community, Slack, Google and Dropbox pages, Youtube live sessions, etc..).
Cash prize of $50,000 USD to best teams of each challenge category:
- $10k for winners, $2.5k for runner-ups.
- Business development training for all winning teams to accelerate solutions beyond PoC stage.
- Exposure and visibility across BSIC channels, networks, and more.
- Opportunity to showcase their solutions in front of the most reputable impact investors, NGOs, philanthropists, charities during conference on June 1st in Washington, DC.
More info: https://www.topcoder.com/challenges/30063672