Founded in 2012, LO3 Energy is a technology and business development consulting firm with a focus on emerging decentralized business models and innovative technologies related to energy, cleantech and currency systems. The LO3 team excels at the ideation, architecture, development, prototyping and testing of cutting edge distributed energy, computing and peer-to-peer distributed consensus networks.
LO3 Energy combines expertise in renewables with cutting-edge proprietary technology, creating solutions that will revolutionize the way we produce, consume, and think about energy. We’re partnering with utility companies, energy wholesalers, distribution and transmission system operators, and communities all over the world to develop customized innovations for an energy secure future.
Some of their projects:
– The Brooklyn Microgrid | Brooklyn, New York
– Enexa | South Australia
– Allgau Microgrid Project | Allgau, Germany
– Landau Microgrid Project (LAMP) | Landau, Germany
LO3Energy announced in 2017 the launch of its patented blockchain software and transactive energy system that will revolutionize the energy industry. Exergy (a term that is also used in reference to useful energy during transmission) is used here to refer to a distributed ledger that functions on grid-connected hardware, a token system for transactive energy and a foundation that advances market design and technology in tandem. Exergy generates, controls and secures the data required to enable price as a proxy for control and optimal operation of electric power systems.
“We are leading an energy revolution,” said Lawrence Orsini, founder and CEO of LO3 Energy. “Reimagining how we generate, consume, and transact energy. Uncovering data that will transform markets and reward consumers with better energy services, using our existing grid and adding new infrastructure where it is needed most.”
LO3 Energy’s current blockchain system is continuing to evolve as it works in the US and Australia. The block chain will be running in Germany by year end.
Four components make up the Exergy system:
• XRG Token: The Exergy token system activates the transactive energy services to be developed and adopted faster at the
• TAG-e Technology: Our proprietary meter is a hybrid device with both an electric meter and a computer. It collectively
manages energy by measuring a building’s energy production and consumption.
• Mobile App: A customer-facing interface where units of electricity are bought and sold instantaneously at a local level on
your computer or mobile device.
• Foundation: Advancing technology and policy for transactive energy by initiating research, advocating for improved
regulatory frameworks, and investing in early-stage projects to advance the Exergy System.
The block chain component of Exergy is working in the US and Australia, with two German projects expected to be online by end of year.